The facts around CBD products for pets
You have heard about CBD products and oils having positive effects on the wellness and health of both humans and pets like cats and dogs. But the main question is; are CBD products working and safe on pets?
It is, however, not easy to sort through every promotion speak and find out the facts around CBD products for pets. This article will help you understand the meaning of CBD, potential CBD benefits for pets, and also know if CBD products are safe for cats and dogs weedsmart .
The meaning of CBD
CBD is an abbreviation for cannabidiol, a chemical compound found in either marijuana or hemp plant.
CBD affects the endocannabidiol systems (ECS) of pets such as cats and dogs. ECS is the brain and body’s communication system that impacts various functions like pet movements, feelings, and reactions.
If CBD is extracted and applied in chews, oils, and different products, it can potentially help with various conditions. CBD helps with relaxation, calming, and possibly as a pain reliever for osteoarthritis in pets.
Being a non-intoxicating compound of both marijuana and hemp plants, CBD does not act like THC. Therefore, if appropriately dosed, CBD cannot make humans and pets high.
However, cannabidiol can affect brain functioning, leading to various possible CBD for dogs benefits for pets like anxiety and stress reduction for cats and dogs.
Safety of CBD on pets
Various researches have proved that products made with CBD have a wide safety margin in both cats and dogs. Several published veterinary studies have pointed out that even if pets consume high levels of CBD, they experience minor effects.
CBD has no intoxicating features and will never make your pet high.
Possible Benefits of CBD for Pets
CBD products derived from Hemp work together with the natural endocannabidiol system of the pet, helping to control various body functions in cats and dogs.
Based on both veterinary and human literature, CBD made products provide the following benefits to our pets:
- Effective pain reliever: pets may experience pains due to various factors like fractures, age, and surgery. If properly dosed, CBD oil can help to reduce pain.
- Anti-inflammatory: CBD has anti-inflammatory medical properties that can improve the response of your pet’s immune system to various physiological issues.
- Reduces Anxiety: pets also experience anxiety just like humans. Separation, car, or thunderstorm anxiety can seriously affect their health. In some cases, pets may jump out through the window. You can use oral CBD products to make them relax as prescribed by your veterinarian.
- CBD oil can also improve the health of the skin and the texture of your pet’s fur.
- Improve joint and bone health. CBD oil can treat old-age pets suffering from arthritis.
When your dog or cat is suffering from arthritis, anxiety, or any medical condition, it is advisable to contact your veterinarian to deliberate on better options that are sensible for your pet’s specific lifestyle.
However, remember that studies about CBD benefits for pets and CBD-made products are still in progress, and not all veterinarians are legally allowed to dispense, discuss or recommend CBD products.